Prepare, accompany, support digitization – through appropriate internal communication
What is Digitalization and Digital Transformation?
In the original sense, the term digitization refers to the conversion of analog things to digital. Today, digital transformation is associated with keywords such as "Internet of things (IoT)", "Machine-to-machine Communication", "Cloud-based Services and Operations", "Artificial Intelligence (AI)", "Robotics" and "Block Chain".
Particularly in the world of work, this means that new technologies and offers break up and change old structures. This digital transformation is a motor for growth and prosperity. Companies therefore cannot ignore digitisation and the associated industry 4.0 – and should take modern and innovative business models seriously.
Digitisation is in full swing. In almost all our areas of life and work, it plays a major role and ensures profound change. Nevertheless, for many people and companies, it is still the great unknown.
Why is digital transformation a topic of internal communication?
The digital transformation accelerates the efficiency of work and production processes and enables companies to respond more and more precisely to the wishes of their customers. For employees, this means that new processes must be understood and new skills learned.
Such changes are often not welcomed – because they put employees under pressure. For many employees, fear of something new and uncertainty about their own role prevails. Because the digitization process in a company is never self-explanatory, rather on the contrary.
The critical success factors in the transition to the digital world are therefore above all the acceptance of the users and the targeted use of the digital possibilities by the employees.
Employees must understand why digitalization is important for the future, for the growth and competitiveness of the company. Therefore, communicative support is essential to familiarise employees with the changes in their working environment.
Because only if employees know how to use new digital tools properly and are motivated to take advantage of the resulting opportunities can companies fully exploit the potential of digital transformation and industry 4.0.
Advantages and opportunities that digitalization offers companies – and internal communication playing a key role in understanding:
- Innovative products and services
- Optimize handling processes in the lifecycle of products, e.g. by integrating business partners
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Optimization of the customer experience
- Development of new customer groups and markets (e.g. via sales cooperations with digital marketplaces)
- Increase in employee satisfaction
- Minimization of routine tasks and thus creation of free space for more value-adding activities
- Establishment of new strategic capabilities
- Automate and accelerate workflows
- Implementation of new business models
- Optimization and efficiency increase of processes and business models and thus cost reduction
- Respond flexibly and comprehensively to rapidly changing demands, insights and market changes
- Fast implementation of innovations
- Flexible testing of new approaches
- Transformation into data-driven organizations
- More effective use of data and efficient data and information management to compete in fast-changing markets
- Integration of robotization, artificial intelligence and Big Data evaluations, e.g. provided by external partners, into the core processes of companies.